NINE Mouth Watering Dishes that you just cannot miss when in LUCKNOW
Lucknow is a land of mouth-watering dishes, where every street and lane smells of good food. It’s the city of Nawabs, where meat takes the centre stage. Amidst the laziness of the atmosphere, if there is one thing that can make anyone energetic it’s the ‘Lakhnowi food’, which is an experience that you must have once in your life. When we talk about Awadhi cuisine or the Lakhnowi food, Tunday Kebabs top the list because of its mouth-watering taste and deliciousness. However, there is more to Lakhnowi food than these kebabs.
1. Galauti Kebab - Galawati Kebab or Galauti Kebab is a special delicacy which was once made exclusively for a Nawab in Lucknow. Galawati means melt in your mouth, and the dish does exactly that. Once finely ground meat and unripe papaya is marinated, a mixture of spices is added to the dish. This one must be high on your must try from Lucknow!
2. Boti Kebab - Tender pieces of meat heated under intense heat, Boti Kabab is one finger-licking starter you should definitely not miss! A popular Mughlai recipe, this is one the many famous kababs that Lucknow has to offer.
3. Rogan Josh - Rogan Josh - even the words make you go weak in the knees! Soft meat in spicy curry, this delicacy warms you up from the inside. Even though you might get it in Delhi or Mumbai, you haven't really tasted it if you haven't tried it in the City of Nawabs!
4. Lucknowi Biryani - This sumptuous dish is straight from the streets of Lucknow. The rice is cooked separately in garden-fresh spices and the marinated chicken is added later. This technique infuses just the right amount of flavour in the dish and the final product is something that you just cannot resist.
5. Paya Ki Nihari - Lamb trotters broth, Lucknowi Payai Ki Nihari is a slowly-cooked dish usually prepared overnight for 6-7 hours. Nahar is an Urdu word which means morning, hence the dish usually sells like hot cakes for breakfast.
6. Sheermals - A sweet naan, this one is baked in tandoor and goes well with anything spicy! Sheermals are made with warm milk which is sweetened with sugar and generally flavoured with saffron. Totally mouth-watering, this!
7. Malai Ki Gilori - If you have a sweet tooth, sink your teeth in the oh-so-soft Malai Ki Gilori in Lucknow! Savour it melting in your mouth within seconds and we are sure you won't be able to stop at just one!
8. Prakash Ki Kulfi - Last but definitely not least, make sure you end your Lucknow sojourn with Prakash Ki Kukfi - because if heaven came in colours, yellow would be the one! So special is the kulfi that the shop serves only Kulfi Faluda! Served in front of you in seconds, its flavour is perfect and leaves you wanting for more.
9. Lucknowi Paan - No meal is complete if you don't end it up with paan. And don't you dare think of the Lucknowi paan as just another paan! Paan lovers would be in a for a treat because this paan is more than just patta, supari and gulkand put together. It is an experience in itself and if you haven't tasted it, you are missing out on life!